Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Bread: Back to beginnings



Freshmen year rolls :)
          When I think of home, I think of bread. For those of you who know my family, you know that my father's "Marty bread" has been a staple in our household. Usually it involved a thick crisp crust (usually with some cornmeal) and a rich hearty center. Since I got to college and realized that bread wasn't a mystical substance that only big men in chef's hats could create, I've had a fascination with making my own bread. Freshmen year I used to get up early to make rolls in the little shared kitchen downstairs. At first, I loved to experience making rolls. This way I could knead in whatever seasoning I wanted. I tried raison, cinnamon raison, italian spice, cheesy bread, and even chai bread (thank you Trader Joe's Chai Tea Mix).
          Now I've become a fan of honey wheat and oatmeal breads - big enough that I can cut slices for sandwiches or toast in the morning. Luckily I'm living with two roommates who appreciate and make bread themselves. I made this bread yesterday afternoon at my brother's apartment in Jersey. Despite the fact that the yeast was pretty old and consequently the bread did not rise as much as it should have, it turned out well by my standards. The recipe (like most of my other recipes) was adapted from a white bread recipe from allrecipes.com. I like to make it differently each time I make the bread. This version of the bread recipe turned out a little sweeter than I originally intended,  but it was delicious!


        A word on flours. It is best to use a bread flour, as it has a higher gluten content (12.5-14% gluten protein) than regular all-purpose flour (10-12% gluten protein). The more gluten protein in the flour, the more the protein can bind to the flour and give you a better rise. Thus, bread flour = better rise. I've also found that bread flours keep the bread together better when you slice it up. However, if you don't have bread flour, that's fine! Your bread will still be delicious. Wheat flour has an even higher protein content than bread flour, but you need to be careful you don't add too much or your bread will become hard. A great website if you're looking to get into breads is: http://www.thefreshloaf.com/


                          Bread Recipe (white or wheat)

-2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
    • -for this step I just tell the temperature by touch. If it feels slightly warmer than your hand when you dip it in, it should be good. If you want to be a pro (or are unsure) you can take the temperature.
  • -2/3 cup white sugar/honey/agave
    • -for wheat breads I like to use honey or agave. The agave is a little cheaper and I really love the flavor!
  • 2 packets dry yeast
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    • -make sure you get enough salt, but don't oversalt. Salt is a surprisingly important part of the process.
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 6 cups bread flour
    • -you can always do 4 cups white and 2 cups white/wheat. However the number of cups should depend on how the dough feels as the process goes on. 
  • -Any herbs/spices you want to add (for example oregano, thyme, rosemary)


  1. In a large bowl, dissolve the sugar/honey/agave in warm water, and then stir in yeast. Allow to proof until yeast resembles a creamy foam. This process takes about 10-15 minutes and you'll see the yeast foaming. If it doesn't foam well this probably means the yeast is too old or the water may have been too cold or hot. 
  2. Mix salt and oil into the yeast. Mix in flour one cup at a time. You can alternate between white and wheat flours. You may not need all 6 cups or you may need more. You want the bread to be elastic so it doesn't quite stick to your fingers anymore when you knead it, but at the same time not too dry. If you want to add herbs/spices, add them to the dough as you add the flours. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth.  Place in a well oiled bowl, and turn dough to coat. Cover with a little bit or saran wrap and top with a damp cloth. Allow to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour. I always make sure to keep the bread in a warm place, as this helps with the rising process.
  3. Punch dough down. Knead for a few minutes, and divide in half. Shape into loaves, and place into two well oiled 9x5 inch loaf pans. Allow to rise for 30 minutes, or until dough has risen 1 inch above pans. (this is important! Let the dough rise in the pan before putting it in the oven).
  4. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes.


Enjoy!

Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment