Thursday, January 5, 2012

West Coast is where it's at!

This would be me!
Well, hello!  I'm Juliette, and I happen to be livin' it large out in California, so I assume responsibility of the West Coast chapter of this blog! A little about me... I'm the artsty, chill, yet occasionally sassy one.  Recently when I haven't been running, taking a nap, or doing the whole school thing, I've been trying out some new things in the kitchen.  Warning: I am most definitely the least experienced with this whole baking/cooking/creating food thing compared to these two other ladies, but I have an intense love for food and have recently become a little obsessed with photographing beautiful kitchen creations.  Tasty food is even better when it looks beautiful!  I'm excited to share my experiences as a novice cook/baker and photographer with both Kate and Emma, and of course YOU!

I haven't been as ambitious as Kate with my winter break... but I just made a batch of simple, yet always mouth-watering peanut butter kiss cookies!  Since peanut butter cookies are my favorite, I suppose it's fitting to start off my part in this blog with them.  Earlier before winter break I made some with my friend Kristen back at school which were rolled in red and green sprinkles instead of sugar (if you're looking to be extra festive).  If you haven't tried these yet, you gotta!
                                                                                               
      "Peanut Butter Blossoms"
(adapted recipe from www.herseys.com)

48 herseys kisses (I used dark chocolate this last time!)
3/4 cup peanut butter (natural peanut butter actually works well for these)
1/3 cup light brown sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1 & 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
Granulated sugar or sprinkles


 1. Heat oven to 375*F.


2. Beat butter and peanut butter in a large bowl until well blended.  Add 1/3 cup granulated sugar and brown sugar; beat until fluffy.  Add egg, milk, vanilla; beat well.  Stir together flour, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into peanut butter mixture.


3. Shape dough into 1-inch balls.  Roll in granulated sugar or sprinkles; place on ungreased cookie sheet.


4. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned.  Immediately press a chocolate into center of each cookie (cookie will probably crack a little around the edge).  Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack.  Let cookies cool completely before enjoying!  Makes about 4 dozen cookies.



No comments:

Post a Comment